Indeed, butter is a super food, made of complex lipids and amino acids that make up its chemical composition. This makes it an ideal food for sustained strength, body building and repair and as well as giving the body the nourishment it requires and nurturing the skin. Butter can be used to eat foods by spreading or applying it on them. It can also be cooked using methods like baking, cooking, frying and sauce making among many others. Butter is traditionally made from milk in a process where milk is fermented to form curd, and then the curd is churned till the butter floats on top and is then skimmed off.
Nowadays industrial production has made this tedious process easier and thus made more butter available for everyone and affordable due to a cheaper cost of production. Branded and packed butter are available in plain or salted version, as well as other variants and will have an increased shelf life than those sold in loose form in generic grocery stores. They will also last longer if stored well in a fridge.
Our Top Pick
Why Butter is Important for your Health
- CLA- Conjugated Linoleic Acid which is known to inhibit certain cancers e.g. breast cancer is contained in most dairy butters.
- Despite popular opinion, let us restate that butter does not make you fat- its rich source of short and medium chain fatty acids are such that are not deposited in adipose tissues.
- Did you know? Butter is used by people that are on a ketogenesis diet. It is mixed with black coffee and is known as ‘bulletproof coffee’.
- It has a lot of fat soluble vitamins like Vitamins A, B, D, E & K- vitamins that are so essential for you and your body couldn’t do without them.
- Almost every butter contains some butyric acid, an anti-carcinogenic which obstructs growth of tumors in the mammary glands. It also stimulates release of bile that in turn facilitates absorption of vitamins and removes toxins and deactivated hormones.
Now you know, and you can apply butter on your favorite food, as well as cook delicious and healthy meals with it.
There are different types of butter available. While it is important to go with your preferred type of butter it is also necessary to note that the top brands listed for review here are marked because of their standard quality, price, and customer friendly qualities they are known to possess. We know you’re usually overwhelmed by the vastness of butters on the dairy aisles in grocery stores and online shops. We have taken the effort to classify the most common types so you’ll know exactly which you want to use for a particular reason.
Amul is known as the Indian dairy cooperative established in 1946 as a result of the White Revolution and it has its with its headquarters at Anand in Gujrat state. It has won the Guinness world record for having the most popular ad for several years.
They produce salted and unsalted, and herbs flavored alternatives in three variants known as classic salted butter, unsalted cooking butter and garlic and herbs flavored butter. Their butter products are usually synthesized from dairy, and the milk from the best farm cows make their butter very tasty, soft and smooth in taste.
- Zero cholesterol
- Tamper evident proofing
- No added sugar or preservative
- It has CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), which helps in body fat metabolism and reduction
- Has Vitamins A & D which are essential for good vision and healthy skin.
- It commands a high price
President, a French based dairy brand is owned by the Laval-based Lactalis company. President was created in 1933 by Andre Besnier and was intended, as still is for the manufacture and distribution of butter and other industrially synthesized versions of traditional cheeses. It is an internationally recognized business with its market worldwide.
This is a butter brand that boasts of wide international acclamation. Indeed, it is certainly made from the finest, for the finest. It is a vegetarian product carefully designed to avoid excessive cholesterol usage.
- Has a smooth texture
- Packed in 4 ounces per bag in rectangle shapes
- For consumers that prefer unsalted butter, this is a right choice
- It has passed international food and hygiene standards
- Affordability depends on budget
- The packaging could be better
Being a brand that believes in providing healthy and functional foods to the average Indian consumers, as it was started by individuals of KCLFoods who strongly supported that healthy and nutritional foods should be made available to Indian consumers. It is a native brand which is owned by KCL Foods, a part of KCL group based in Northern India. Murginns is big in the breakfast foods production business.
Murginns is a combination of smooth creamy butter, with the freshest of crushed garlic cloves and other nutritious herbs. It can be used for baking the ultimate garlic bread & baked potatoes, also a perfect combination when tossed vegetables
- It is natural butter
- It is white in appearance
- It is flavored with garlic and herbs combination
- It is a vegetarian product
- It is a top-quality garlic and herbs butter product
- It is affordable
- It may not be used where plain butter is needed, like cake baking
Fitjars, which means a jar of fitness was born by a food and fitness enthusiast, Shiva. It was he who believed that a virile lifestyle goes beyond gym workouts. It requires a balanced mental and physical state via nutrition and pleasing taste. Thus, Fitjars came to be in 2016 with vast production in different categories.
Fitjars make their legendary butter that is free from every dairy product from the best of almonds, chia seeds, flax seeds, hazelnuts which are roasted until they become light brown and then ground. It is packaged in a glass jar where natural oils are seen to separate on top of the jar which is very normal and natural.
- It is made for ketogenesis diets and is ultra-pure
- It is suitable for fitness devotes and food enthusiasts
- No added preservatives, sugar and salt.
- It is peanut, palm oil, dairy, gluten and lactose free.
- It can be a suitable substitute for jam or dairy butter
- It is a very good spread and is great for your breakfast toast
- It is good for people that are on certain diets that forbid most dairy products
- It has decent packaging
- Has only 6 months of storage life
- It must be refrigerated after opening
- It has to be mixed well before using the almond butter
Jaiviklife is a retail company which makes dairy products come to life in different delectable tastes with their unique manufacturing formula located Opposite the Janpath Hotel, Sarkej, Ahmedabbad, India. Jaiviklife makes available in salted, unsalted, strawberry and garlic and herbs variations.
A great quality butter that is made from A2 cow milk, and left white as it should be. It boosts the immune system and also serves as a detoxifying agent with antifungal and antibacterial benefits. Producers even claim this 100% natural butter has cancer fighting properties.
- It comes in salted and unsalted variants
- It is pricey
- The butter has no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- 100% natural
- Although pricey, it is great value for your money
- There is no substantial claim to its effective cancer properties
Nature’s Shadow can be contacted at Door No: 4 Plot No: 19, 2nd Man Road, Venkatesa Nagar Second Extension, Saligramam, Chennai if more information is required concerning their brand’s delicious products. This is butter made from cow milk, and these cows are of the Uthkulli origin. Uthkuli is a small town in Tamil Nadu in the renowned ghee region of Southern India.
It is widely acclaimed for its richness in the good kind of fat and also its yummy aroma. It is made from the traditional churning technique, every ounce of it!
- It is a vegetarian product.
- It has no salt added
- No preservatives
- Flavor free
- It is of great natural quality
- Made of pure butter only
- The price is high
7) Hungry Jars
Hungry Jars is an all-natural brand which makes most pf their products especially their butters the homemade way. They are located at 122 Shahpur Jat, New Delhi.
This herb garlic flavored butter is sealed in a transparent jar, making it easily assessable. It is made from the finest herbs and garlic cloves and will just give your palate an after yearning.
- It has no additives- color, preservatives or chemicals
- Ingredients include butter, olive oil, garlic, mixed herbs and chili flakes
- It is vegetarian product designed to cut cholesterol intake
- Its price cannot be easily determined but is usually high
Established by Shri Nanak Singh, Nanak Group of Industries a pioneer of Dairy Industry in India was established around 1980. This brand sticks strictly to making butter from the milk produced by Sahiwal Cows, making their A2 of standard quality. The production of this brand’s product includes traditional churning methods which ensures that every ounce of nutrient that is required is bagged and the real ghee taste is preserved.
It is made from pure A2 cow’s milk and can be used as cooking oils. It is very pure and of delectable quality. It can be a viable alternative for individuals who manifest allergies to dairy products.
- It comes in 1000ml, 500ml and 250ml quantities
- It is a superior substitute for cooking oils and butter
- It contains nutrients like Omega-3 and Omga-6 fatty acids and vitamins that are fat-soluble.
- It is butter that has been boiled
- It is a great fat source which can benefit your skin
- It does not come in economy packs
- It is pricey even though worth the cost
Britannia is a brand of the Maharashtrian Company, the Dynamix Dairy with headquarters situated in Bangalore, India and has been since 1995 as an established private company. Its dairy products can boast of being synthesized from fresh cow milk and it wouldn’t be an empty claim. With experience on their side, Britannia goes ahead to give us quality for what it’s worth.
This butter is available in creamy, salted and easy to spread quality which comprises of 100% pure butter with 80% pure fat content. It is available I 100g and 500g pack.
- It is available in 100g and 500g packs
- It is 100% pure butter made from fresh cow milk
- It is easily spreadable on toast or any other food
- It is available in economy packs
- It can be assessed by average Indian consumers on budget.
- It’s pure fat content may not be advised for large consumption for people who watch their cholesterol intake
- It is only available in salted butter
Amazing Health Benefits of Butter
Previously, using butter daily was a strict no for many people, but later studies showed that using butter regularly in a limited quantity can provide health benefits. If consumed daily on a limited basis can fulfil a lot of your requirements of necessary vitamins and minerals for a healthier life. Vitamins like A and D are required for proper development of the brain, nervous system, and skeletal system. Many other essential bodily functions like joint movements and bone health, can be achieved by using butter. Here are a few health benefits of using butter that are mentioned below:
After achieving a certain age, it becomes essential to take good care of joint and bone health. It is advised to have an adequate dosage of calcium, copper, zinc, magnesium, and selenium that are readily present in butter for better bone health. They become very crucial elements in maintaining the strength, growth, and repair of bone. Some of the disheartening diseases that occur due to inadequate intake of these minerals are arthritis, osteoporosis, and premature aging of bone. Many of the trustworthy brands are available in the Indian online shopping store.
Another life-saving element that is found in butter is Beta carotene. This nutrient helps in healthy vision and protects your eyes. It also reduces the risk of angina pectoris and macular degeneration. It is always better to avoid cheap butter in India.
- Heart Health
Naturally, processed butter is considered healthy for the heart when consumed regularly in moderation. High-density lipoprotein (HDL), which is generally termed a good source of fat and cholesterol, provides strength and protection to the heart walls. The right amount of omega 3 in butter also manages the omega-six fatty acid levels, thereby saving us from heart diseases. Nutralite butter and Amul butter are some of the butter company names that provide excellent quality butter.
Buying Guide for Butters in India
Much quality as possible has been put into the various brands which have been scrutinized above, and it is necessary to stipulate some guidelines and considerations in making proper choices in making purchase of India’s finest products which are aimed at reaching a large population and a large market.
Butter is usually synthesized from Cow milk and there are certain specifications like the Jaiviklife Brand that makes use of only A2 milk, and the Fitjars that are dairy free butters. It is important that the certain needs are put in mind in order to determine which production material brings out what is needed to be purchased.
It is necessary to consider the impact on the pocket of the consumer as butter are perishable consumables that require constant replacement in use which means they will regularly be purchased. As such, it is advised to obtain the butter that is within unstrained reach of the income of the household or individual.
Butter packaging is essential in continuous storage, attractiveness and increased shelf life. Packaging matters so much that some products are even tamper proof and it is not recommended to buy them once you notice that there has been alteration to the packaging.
Keep an eye on fat percentage
Butter of high quality must be rich in cream and milk that almost has 80% minimum fat. Whereas, going with any ordinary butter brand will contain harmful fats and hydrogenated oil. One should be careful while selecting reputed brands with an enormous amount of medium-chain fatty acids and lauric acids. Preservatives in Amul butter is comparatively less than other brands.
Check on color
It is an easy yet effective strategy to check on the quality of the butter. This is also an essential point while making an Amul butter recipe. The natural pigment that causes the yellowish tinge is known as carotene. Generally, the grass-fed or organically fed cows are best for preparing butter at home with its oceans of benefits. Moreover, Amul butter salted has a more natural color and texture that adds to the flavor.
Adverse Effects of Overconsumption of Butter
As we all know, too much of even good things is bad. It implies the same when it comes to overconsumption of butter. The main nutritional element of butter is fat, which, when consumed in excess amounts, leads to undesirable health problems. Problems like obesity, fatty liver, and heart disease are its side effects. Butter is always cherished with a combination of white flour and can be termed the main culprit. It leads to obesity and fatal diseases like blockage of the heart over time.
People who are already suffering from heart disease or high blood pressure problems should avoid or carefully restrict the intake of butter. It may also lead to problems like type 2 diabetes and increase the fat percentage in blood, which affects the production of beta cells resulting in diabetes. Markets are flooded with a variety of butter, and any ordinary butter without any brand value will do more harm than good. Butter made of cheap quality hydrogenated oil should be avoided to gain the maximum benefit out of it.
Choosing the desired may seem simple but it is well understood that striking a balance between affordable pricing, environmentally friendly production material, taste-palate desire, craving, high efficiency in cooking and the product packaging is an arduous task. It is hoped that this article is of great aid in making a choice.