Electrical wires are the root of modern homes. With a good wire, we are able to enjoy the power of electricity and keep our homes cooled or heated depending upon the environment. So, it is vital to have good wire connections to keep our homes comfortable. There are different types of cables available for different load.
As for normal use, you need 1.5MM wire. For heavy load like AC, you might need 2.5mm wire and so on. You can consult with your electrician to find a suitable one for you.
Despite the importance of wires in our home, most people take them for granted. Installing unrecognized, or abnormal brand wires in our homes can bring major issues down the road. These wires don’t hold up well. Wear and tear will take its toll, and issues will arise every now and again. So, it is really important to install wires from a recognized and trusted brands in our homes.
Best Cable & Wire Companies
Havells is one of the trusted brands when it comes to electrical equipment. They have been manufacturing and selling a wide range of electrical equipment for more than half a decade. When it comes to cables and wires, Havells is India’s largest manufacturer producing a range of industrial cables such as Multicore Cables, Low Voltage and High Voltage Cables, EHV capable Extra High Voltage Cables, etc.
These wires and cables from Havells are manufactured from eco-friendly norms and are safe, reliable, fire-retardant, fire-resistant, lead-free, and halogen-free. So you can buy wires from Havells with 100 percent confidence. To run electric switches properly, you need the best cables.
ROHS Compliant – These wires follow the standards, and are ROHS compliant.
Corrosion Resistance – The copper and aluminum wires from the Havells are resistant against corrosion, and are safe from termite or rodent attack.
- High insulation resistance
- Comes in different sizes and colors
- High electricity conductivity
- It is a premium quality product requires a premium price. The price is a bit high with this one.
When you think of electric cables, Polycab will definitely strike your mind. It is because Polycab is engaged in the business of manufacturing and selling wires for more than four decades. They provide the best quality cables that one can rely upon.
Polycab manufactures a wide range of cables and wires including power cables, flexible/single multi-core cables, communication cables, welding cables, submersible flat and round cables, rubber cables, overhead conductors, green wires, specialty cables, and railway signaling cables. With over 24 manufacturing facilities and 2800 authorized distributers, Polycab is one of the largest premium brands to buy wires and cables with trust.
ROHS Compliant – This wire is compliant under ROHS (Restriction Of Hazardous Substances Directive)
PVC Material – The PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) material makes it durable for a long time
- Premium Quality
- High Durability
- Good resistance against heat, cold, and UV light
- High Price
- Different size and colors are not available with this wire
Finolex is the other leading wire manufacturers in India. Founded in the year 1958, Finolex has been manufacturing wires and other electrical products for more than half a decade. They produce superior quality and customer validated wires. Finolex offers electrical wires and cables for every segment.
The wires are made with 99.97% pure electric grade with bright annealed bare copper that offers more than 100% conductivity. The finely drawn multiple strands of copper wire offer great flexibility which makes it suitable for conduit wiring. With insulated wires made up of flame retardant PVC compound, the wires made by the Finolex are ISI marked and approved by FIA/TAC.
PVC insulated – This gives high durability to the wires.
- 10 days replacement guaranteed
- High- quality and durability
- Comes in different colors
- Priced a bit high
- Different size options are not available
V-Guard is again one of the oldest and trustable wire companies in India. Founded in the year 1977, they have been manufacturing electrical components for more than 40 years now. They are known for their quality in cables manufacturing. With strong R&D support, V-Guard develops high-quality cables that meet the most challenging applications and bring about improvements.
They produce triple layered PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) insulated Wires with HFT technology. These wires are manufactured in accordance with the ISI standards. So, you can keep your full trust with V-Guard to deliver quality electrical wires which ensures triple protection for your home.
Less heat generation – They are made to produce less heat, so you can save electricity and energy bills.
Anti-rodent and Anti-termite protection – You can safely install this wire with no worries from rodents or termites.
- Comes in different colors and size
- Insulated cables
- Good length for house works
- Priced slightly on the higher side
5) RR Kabel
RR Kabel is one of the pioneers in the wire design and application technology. With more than 20 years of experience, the wires made by the RR Kabel are guaranteed to safeguard your environments in offices, retail spaces, industrial plants, and residences.
Not only house wires, but RR Kabel also makes a variety of wires such as PVC flame retardant, flame retardant low smoke, and low halogen, etc. They have 18 different certifications for achievements in different categories. So it makes RR Kabel the first company with such achievements.
PVC insulation – This makes the wires highly durable
Lead-free – The wire has no environmental effects as it is completely lead-free. So you can safely install this in your home without any worries.
- Good conductivity
- Highly durable
- doesn’t come in different colors or size
6) HPL Wire
Probably the least known brand in our list, the HPL Wire manufactures a wide range of electrical equipment like control panels, led lights, and importantly wires & cables. Established in the 21st century, the HPL Wire provides best in class electrical equipment in India.
Even though a new brand relatively, with its high-quality wires, they are able to make some prestigious clients such as Siemens, Indian Oil, Airports Authority of India, Maruti Suzuki, etc.
PVC Insulated cable with additional properties – they can withstand without any wear or tear for a long time.
- Flame retardant
- Lead-free wire
- High oxygen and temperature index
- 100 percent conductivity
- Comes in different colors
- A bit higher price
Buying Guide for Electrical wires
There are various things to check for when buying an electrical wire, so you have to be careful in choosing the right wire for your needs. To help you with the process of buying, we’ve detailed some things to look out for when buying a wire. So you can choose the perfect wire for your needs.
Type of the wire
The type of wire plays an important role in deciding the wire. So you have to be careful in choosing the right type of materials. There are mainly two materials available such as aluminum and copper. Copper wires have some advantage over the aluminum like high flexibility and conductivity. So it is wise to choose the copper wire for your home use.
Colour of the wire
You need to choose the appropriate colors of the electric wires according to the insulation type and the capability.
Quality wires are preferred because of their longevity. They tend to cost high because of the premium materials involved with the creation of the wire, but it is advisable to choose this over common wires. Quality wires have high durability so they can last for a long time without any problems.
In the long run, quality wires save you money. They also have less heat generation. They can save money by reducing the energy bill. So quality wires with a high cost should be preferred.
Length and Size of the wire
The length and the size of the wire depend upon the area of the building that the wire should cover. The length and size of the wire should be given importance cause buying a wire with less or more length than the required amount can cost you more.
You will have extra unused wire or less than the required amount of wire if you don’t choose the right amount. Buy the wire with the correct length and size that covers your home to save money.
The wire should be completely lead-free as lead harms the environment and is considered dangerous for people. So it is important that the wire has no lead in it. Anti-rodent, Anti-termite are necessary for a wire as it protects it from rats and mites. Also, make sure the wire is resistant towards water, heat, and high temperature. These may not seem important but in the long run, these features keep your wire without any damages.
Different Types of Wires and Cables
There are many types of cables and wires. The most common is the solid wire that comes with a polyethylene insulation jacket. Generally, in the market, there are two types of wires:
- AC wire
- DC wire
Bear in mind; it is imperative to understand that both AC and DC current has different types of applications. While AC wires are required for transmission, DC is used by all the appliances. In our household, AC transmission needs 230 AV while DC devices work on 12 V, 24 V, and 48 V.
AC wire vs. DC wire
- Insulation: AC wires have no zinc coating while DC wires have a zinc coating
- Tinned cover: AC wires have single tinned cover while DC wires have a double tinned cover.
- Application: AC wires work on AC operators, while DC wires work on DC appliance or self-power generation.
- Voltage: AC wires have a voltage of 230 AV to 240 AV, while DC wires have a voltage of 20 V to 1100 V.
Other Types of Wires:
There are other common types of wires found in the market as well:
- Coaxial cable: Generally used in radio and TV transmissions, this type of wire is used in devices where no risk of electrical interference can be taken. They are also called network cables.
- Ethernet cables: Widely used in a wired network, these cables are used to connect LAN with devices such as switches, routers, or pc.
- CCTV cables: These cable wires are used in combination with communication and cable wires. Communication wires are used to record images and connect with the data center.
- Submersible cables: Ideally used in direct burial or inside wall casting, they can be used in fresh or saltwater with a submersible.
- Computer cables: These cables are used to connect a computer to its power source. They are also called cord, plug, or connector. Variations include DVI, HDMI, or USB cables.
Buying Guide (addition):
- Voltage: One of the things you need to pay attention to while buying a cable is its voltage. Post testing the manufacturer specifies the insulation breakdown voltage. You can get this on the box of the cable. If the specification is higher than the voltage of your system, then go for it.
- Ability to Handle Overheating: Often overlooked, this is an important aspect to keep in mind while buying cables and wires. The wires need to handle electricity safely without getting overheated or heating up their insulation. The amount of heat that is generated can be calculated by the current that is passing through the wire and its resistance.
What are some of the Top Companies?
The top cable companies for buying the best quality electric wire in India are Polycab India, Sterlite Cables, Finolex Cables, Havells India, KEI Industries, RR cables, etc. These are also the best companies for house wirings.
As mentioned in the Introduction, electrical wires are the root of the building. So it is important to choose quality wiring that lasts a long time. We hope our review and buying guide helps you in choosing the perfect wire for your need.