Camcorders are a huge deal of investment if you are an amateur videographer or a professional one trying to shoot various video segments. Camcorders have stuck around since the 1980s and are still being manufactured and sold. Earlier, these devices were tape-based and came in two different analog formats, namely Betamax and VHS. The recordings were saved on cassettes and could be played on a VCR (videotape cassette) system.
With time the technology evolved, and a number of formats – 8mm, Digital video or DV, HDV (high definition video), S-VHS- were introduced. Nowadays, camcorders come with MP4 format. It allows USB connectivity, making it easier to transfer or play the recorded and stored files. Given below is a list of top 5 camcorders available in India:
Top 5 Best Camcorders in India to Buy in 2020
Panasonic is a renowned name when it comes to cameras. The Panasonic HC V270 Super Zoom is a full HD camcorder allowing you to record 1080p HD videos. It offers a 90x intelligent zoom with a 50x optical zoom. Besides this, the HC V270 supports Wi-Fi connectivity and near field communication (NFC). These connectivity features let you use the viewfinder feature on your smartphone. This camcorder has a live BSI MOS Sensor (⅕.8”). It also lets you connect the camcorder to external microphones. The stabilization given is of 5-axis hand-shake detection. It consumes a maximum of 4.7W while recording and a maximum of 7.7W while charging.
- Listed at a reasonable price
- Large display
- Network connectivity- Wi-Fi and NFC
- External microphones supported
- Poor performance under low light
- Battery life, not enough
The HDRCX405 is a Sony camcorder with 9.2 megapixels allowing high definition video recording. This Sony camcorder offers a 30x optical zoom and a 60x clear image zoom helping you record the subject closely. The ZEISS Lens gives a wide angle of 26.8 mm. It has an added feature for creating story highlights in MP4 format from the clips available. It has a USB port for charging and hassle-free file transferring. Moreover, it has a face detection feature along with noise reduction and voice enhancement. This camcorder has Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with Active mode. The minimum focus distance is approximately 1 cm in wide mode, 80 cm (Tele), 0.40 (wide), 31.5 (Tele). It has an Exmor R CMOS Sensor (1920 x 1080 full HD).
- Face detection and noise reduction
- In-built USB cable
- Automatic story highlight feature
- No external microphone input
The Panasonic HC V785GW-K is a consumer camcorder with a wireless twin camera. With the twin camera feature, you can make use of your smartphone as a sub camera. It offers a five-axis Hybrid Optical Image Stabilizer (OIS) for stable shooting. You can also record a slow-motion video on this camcorder. This Panasonic camcorder comes with 20x optical zoom and a lens system of 4-drive. The HDR Movie function lets you record clear and crisp videos by suppressing blocked shadows and blown highlights. It has a 25.4/58.4 mm Back Side Illumination Sensor.
- Video with excellent detailing
- Reduced blurring
- Sensor with high sensitivity
- No self-timer
The Panasonic HC V270GW-K is HD Camcorder with the ability of a two-way speaker and baby monitors. The ⅕.8” BIS MOS sensor and a video resolution of 1080p give a zoom range above average. It is powered with a 90x intelligent zoom and 50x optical zoom, and a 150x to 3000x digital zoom. It comes with a 2.7inch LCD touch monitor and LED recording light. You can live stream to Ustream or YouTube and also broadcast in real-time while recording. The additional features include SD card slots, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards along with an in-built microphone, dynamic speaker, microphone, and headphone jacks. The power consumption is a maximum of 5.4 watts while recording and a maximum of 7.7 watts while charging.
- Multiple white balance settings- Auto, sunny, white set, cloudy, Indoor1, indoor2
- Affordable price tag
- No in-built memory
The VIXIA HF R800 by Canon is a portable video camera camcorder with an audio input for microphone and a 3 inch LCD touch panel. The Digic DV 4 image processor gives excellent autofocus. It has an auto face detection feature for easy recording. This lightweight camera, with its compact body, makes it a perfect travel buddy. With this camcorder, one gets a CMOS Sensor with 3.28 megapixels. The Canon VIXIA HF R800 is powered by a 57x zoom range (Advanced Zoom Range).
- Compact design
- Powered by Canon color science
- Autofocus and face recognition
- Stabilization options
- External microphone supported
- Average build quality
Benefits of Using a Camcorder
- Allows the user to record for longer periods
- Video and sound quality is better
- Gives a decent data storage
- Can be used on a tripod
Buying Guide for the Best Camcorders
Here is what you need to know and consider before buying a camcorder
- Resolution– Different camcorder models offer different resolutions like 720p HD, 2160p 4K UHD, 1080p FHD. Figure out your purpose- casual or professional- before buying the camcorder. For casual use, you can do fine with 1080p, whereas 2160p 4K is the best one for professional use.
- Optical zoom and digital zoom– Apart from a decent sensor, optical zoom is also an important feature. A high zoom range delivers better video quality with a close subject range. The digital zoom helps in recording enlarged videos.
- Autofocus– Mostly, the camcorders are fully automatic, which means adjustments in color, focus, aperture, shutter speed. However, camcorders with a higher price tag might allow you manual and auto settings.
- Network connectivity– A camcorder with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and near field communication (NFC) makes the process easier. You can share your files instantly over the network connectivity. Besides that, USB ports allow you to charge your camcorder easily and transfer files without any difficulty.
- Battery backup– Camcorders are used for recordings in professional projects or for casual use. Either way, your projects might need you to record for hours. In this case, you will require a camcorder that has a decent battery life. Without one, you might find it difficult to shoot outdoors for long.
You might need an insight while buying the best full HD camcorder in India. This guide is provided to serve you right and help you with the buying process. Going through the reviews will let you compare the different options available and make buying easier. Now, in order to make your entire buying procedure easier to work with, we have enlisted some of the best camcorders that the market has to offer. Once you get everything right, you are always good to go.